Friday, April 23, 2010

iPad: where's my hotspot

If you are like me, you love your iPad and are finding more and more engenius ways to use it. I was using it at work to avoid bring documentation with me whenever possible and to do so I had brought in a wireless router so I could work (we don't have wifi at work, barbaric I know). This came to the attention of my networking partners, who quickly disabled my port and kept me stranded without so much as a hey, don't do that...

Without wifi the ipad is really not as useful as it can be... In a world of nearly free wireless connectivity this is frustrating, and the 3G option would resolve that, but for the recurring cost...

Enter peer to peer networking... Acording to this you can make your laptop broadcast it's signal and share it with your pad. I am interested but waiting to hear back from my network peeps if this would be allowed, so as to not loose yet another network Jack, and fall another rung of the list of favorite people to deal with....

Check out the link out if you have the same problem, but check with your security folks first. My understanding of this is that it is ok because you are still on your domain, and will not light up their intrusion detection software...

No comments: