Saturday, April 3, 2010

I will spare you the sordid details.. But my ipad is here

After what seems like months my iPad finally arrived today. For those that know me well they will know that this is like three or four Christmases rolled into one, you see I am a self procrlaimed geek, though I am sure others hold that opinion as well....;)

The first thing I noticed About the ipad was that it wasn't as big as I was afraid it would be... It's smaller than a magazine, the screen is amazingly sharp. I was just outside playing with it in the full sunlight and there were no problems seeing the screen. Typing on it is also next to natural, the landscape keyboard is very natural feeling! Even the portrait one is easy to get used to. You do have to put it down if you want any kind of typing speed, and my pinky keeps hitting the enter key but other than that it is really amazing. The adaptive text, it probably has a real name but thats what I will call it, is also amazing, it allows you to keep typing and guesses the word that you meant to type, for sausage fingers here, that's a good thing because I don't always hit the right keys..

I downloaded a bunch of apps so I I'll review them as I get more familiar with them, started out with some of the free ones, but there are all kinds of terminal emulators (geek speak for, I can remote control my computer downstairs if I want to and watch hulu since the ipad doesn't support flash.) and other software. One thing that I have found so far is that iPhone apps, while they might work, are very pixilated and I am not sure I would bother buying any of them if I were you.

The speaker in the pad is amazingly loud, for those of you with a first gen iPhone, its nothing similar, you get at least 5 times louder than the iPhone which makes it a good media device for sharing with people... Please share responsibly, last thing I want to hear is someone elses tv show while I am trying to sleep right jenn?

2 comments:

LeShayne said...

I want one!!! My techie husband (aka microsoft engineer) is against it because its Apple but I still want one. Good review...its good to hear the things people like instead of just people saying how horrible it is!

Stefan DesRosiers said...

Well ask jenn, I am anti apple as well, but I am more of an open minded person.. With now there I no Microsoft device out there, by anyone, that comes close to the form factor and portability of the iPad. It's truly something to behold... Even my not too nerdy friends are all salivating...

The new iPhone os was announce today, it will support multiple tasking, so that's one more thing taken care of... It doesn't support flash, oh well... Flash is a memory and CPU intensive dinosaur, time for it to die and if the iPad kills it, al the better...:)