Thursday, April 8, 2010

iPad: Goodreader app reviewed.

Those of you that have an iPhone know how hard it is to get anything onto or off of them, it's a real pain. Well Goodreader has fixed that for the iPad at least. I believe there is a version for the iphone, but as I never used my iPhone as an actual phone, it hasn't seen the light of day since I lit up my iPad on Saturday...

In any event this little application allows you to download from a web site, email, google docs, you name it... With a built in word, PDF, excel viewer, it even supports .mov files. The ui is a touch confusing, and there are times when I am not sure what I need to do and where, but once you get the hang of it, it's really a must have app. The price is incredible for what you are getting as well.

Setup was simple, I already had a google docs account, and to be honest, if you don't have one your missing out on something.. If you ever wished you could share documents with a friend or family member but didn't want to have to deal with large email files or your own personal FTP server, then google docs is for you. The tool automatically browses the google docs site, shows you all your folders and files and even let's you create your own new folders. Downloading a file is a synch, just click it and you have a local copy. Once done, copy and paste it back up and you are all set to go.

Our corporate mail does not allow smtp or pop protocols, bit of a pain, but since you can browse from within the tool, you just click the link in the email, and tell it to download the attachment, problem solved. Now I can walk to my meeting with the agenda, PDF attachment, and summary from last meeting, all without having to kill a single tree...

No comments: