Saturday, April 10, 2010

iPad: it's been a week, do you still love it?

So I've had my revolutionary device for a week, and what have I learned? I have so far learned that I work with a lot of closet geeks... Bringing this to a meeting really brings out the nerd in people.... Very nice to see people interested and illuminated but something as simple as a tablet device, but there you have it...

Couple of things so far that I have had problems with are the crashing.. I've been thus far blessed with not having any of the wifi connectivity issues, but I have had the keyboard crash at the worst times when trying to demonstrate it to my boss.. If you are patient, which I am not, it comes back to life, but as anyone who has ever demonstrated anything can tell you, seconds feel like minutes when you are trying to show something off.

No, the iPad was not purchased for me by work, my loving wife bought it for me as a birthday/anniversary gift.

She also figured out where the rented movies go when I was too dense to figure it out... For those of you who are curious, unlike the iPhone they are not in iturnes, nor are they in your iPod icon, they are in the new video icon... We Rented a movie twice before we did a search on the entire ipad (neat feature by the way, hit the home button while the home screen and you can search the entire device) and only then did I realize where it was... Yeah yeah make fun of me later..:)

I find one thing missing so far, and it's really annoying for someone who does a lot of typing, the arrow keys are nowhere to be found. I don't yet know how to go to the end of a line quickly or move back several words. Before you say it, yes I know it has a great big touch screen, but I a,so have great big fingers and no patience so waiting for the magnifying glass to pop up and hide behind my sausage fingers is less than optimal.

All in all, there are a couple of key Apps I would say you need, depending of course how you are going to use it, I am using it as a cross between a work and entertainment device, but as entertainment is a very personal thing you can Wade through my reviews of everything I buy/try. Here I will stick to some productivity apps.

1. Bento, if you have a Mac this program is even more impressive, I unfortunately do not. It's a really good organizer, task management type tool that is fully customizable and allows you to add classifications as well as fields.
2. Document editing app: before you rush out and buy pages from apple read some reviews... All of their prpductivity apps are gettting really bad reviews except from people who have never used an office suite before...
3. A printing app, yeah no one talks about this, but you make all these documents, you can access all these web pages, but you can't print... it's wifi enabled, so is my printer, so what's the hold up.... There is one out there (name pending) but I haven't tried it yet. The reviews are mixed and I don't want to spend money on something and then find iot doesn't work... Every app should have a light version, sink e hook then reel us in..
4. Netflix, contingent of course on you having an account his is pretty much the only way, other than point 5 for you to watch tv shows...
5. Terminal emulator, sorry, its not a pc.. But you can connect to your Mac or pc with vnc, rep, or logmein and do whatever is missing like watch hulu. There are several apps out there for this, all of which are pay apps so I will select one carefully and review it....

Accessories you really want

1. Get the apple case, it's the only one I have seen that has the build in angle stand to allow you to type on a flat surface. I tried holding it on my leg and crossing my legs, but my foot keeps fallingn asleep. Holding it in your hand is good., but not for 90 words a minute.. The apple case acts as both a stand, case and typing desk if you will... Definitely worth the effort. I borrowed a friend of mines to test drive it as I had not yet bought a case not being sure what I would want or need... Will be buying one now if I can ever find a store that has it in stock... If however you buy the case DO NOT buy the iPad keyboard or regular dock... It takes two people to get the iPad out of the case, and the case doesn't fit in the dock without some liberal modification...
2. Don't know if they sell them, but a longer USB cable... The 2 ft one that comes with the iPad is weak to say the least. Yes you have a good battery life, no it does not appear to last 10 hours, unless of course I am doing something wrong... I end up having to charge it every night, though at times it is at 30% (note: went to the apple stsore today and they do not infact sell them, was directed to radio shack to buy an extender for USB devices... Classy.)

That's about it really. You already have some kind of bag, with the case the iPad fits nicely in there, or since you are holding your wives purse anyways, just toss it inside....;)

No comments: