Saturday, April 24, 2010

iPad: desktop/laptop replacement?

This is the debate, can the iPad replace your desktop or laptop? Does anyone actually need an iPad? Does anyone need a laptop for that matter... Traveling people will say yes to the laptop, and recently I went on a business trip to a convention and took my iPad instead of my laptop.

After getting through all of the oohing and ahhing the iPad brings to the meeting, and being hands down the largest nerd in the room, I was able to get down to work and found myself enjoying the iPad experience tremendously. When taking notes on a laptop the screen is constantly a barrier, perceived or otherwise, to colabortaion with the presenter. You always feel like you need to tilt the screen down to talk to the presenter... With the pad, no problems. I took far more notes than I normally do, because it was always on and just sitting there waiting for me to type something (and maybe, just maybe I was trying to justify bringing it...)

In any event what I was most concerned with was the battery power, would it make it through a day? No problem at all, I made it through a 4 day convention without ever dipping below 30% power or charging it mid day... Can you say the same of your laptop? I also greatly appreciated the weight when schlepping through the airport, and the fact that I didn't have to take it out of my bag at the security check points... All in all a positive experience. One item of note, call ahead and make sure they have wifi wherever you are going, and get a remote app like logmein to connect to your desktop when you need something the iPad can't do YET...:)

1 comment:

dcm said...

I sold my MacBook Air to pay for my iPad 3G. I've gone weeks without using my MacMini though an iPad isn't a stand alone device. It can be frustrating at times but generally it's been a great experience. Read about my trip to Japan with it. http://livingwithipad3g.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/3g-and-wifi-in-japan-well/