Thursday, May 20, 2010

iPad: Pages application review

So despite my trepidation I went ahead and bought pages. I have been working around issues with editing word documents for the last little while, my requirements were really more reading and commenting so I had been using iannotate once I printed to PDF, but that extra step was getting annoying so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on Pages

It's a very slick, simple application that let's you select a template and quickly get down to writing a document. It's really easy to use in the few functions it does, but I honestly found more wrong with it than right. Now keeping in mind you only paid 10$ for it, you have to significantly lower your expectations, but it's a dummied down version of a full application so some of my gripes are really warranted.

While it has to convert documents for viewing (specifically word documents which covers 85% of the world right now) and gives you a cool summary of what it had to change in order to show it to you. Would be nice if this was visible after the fact, but it isn't

Bulets and numbering: I was preparing a document that had numbered entries and I wanted to indent and then was annoyed by the fact that while it indented, the numbering didn't change, and the bullet didn't indent to follow.
Caps: the caps and casing that happens when you have change lines is flaky, sometimes it does it some times it doesn't.
Documents: so you have all kinds of sexy templates that you can use which is great, but once you start one, i haven't been able to determine how to change the name of that document... So my notes from the meeting I have been in all week say syllabus because that is what matched what I was trying to do... So I couldn't just send the document via email to my boss, I had to transfer the file to my desktop and go from there.
Transferring files: this is where pages falls down over any of the other document viewing docs out there. The only way to get something onto it is from an email, or from iTunes. Google docs? Not so much. They do support their cloud, but since that's a pay service, I'm not interested in using it.

So over all is it worth 10$, sure. Consider what went into this and determine if you were the vendor if you would want at least 10$ for it... If however you are a hard core document creator or reviewer, you will find it frustrating in it's limitations.

No comments: