Wednesday, May 5, 2010

iPad: GoToMeeting app reviewed

I Had the opportunity to use this application today in a meeting with one of my consulting firms and I have to say I am impressed. I pulled it up on my desktop and on the iPad, flipped the pad over to have my counterpart be able to see and watched the feed on my side as well.

The app performed very well, almost no lag between the desktop and the iPad. The built in mic and speakers on the iPad let you join the conference without a phone (but we weren't using that capability, I did however see myself "talking" until I hit the mute button).

Its a very smooth app, but as you have gotten used to, I did find somethings wrong with it.

You can't take control of the computer so its a spectator app only, not a killer but it does limit its use.
You can't see the users mouse, which was entertaining for a bit when the user on the other end was saying, see this, this here, this is the problem and frantically moving their mouse around to direct our attention...

Other than that, a very solid app, and well worth the price. Did I mention its free?

*edit: you can also use the standard functions available for an ipad like pinch to zoom and scrolling by touch. The resolution fits nicely in the screen like most of the remote desktop software, but at times finer details can be missed, making the hi Rez zoom feature a definate plus.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have used gotomeeting iPad app, but my faith begins to wain as it is an hosted service. Hence, I switched over to RHUB. Its iOS app is easy to use and provides better security as compared to hosted services.