Thursday, July 15, 2010

jPad: Wifi Syncing is here

So I've been putting iPad in front of all my posts about iPad recently, and its even starting to annoy me. Then last night I was thinking about the most recent app I bought and the little light bulb went on and I said, hey I can put jPad if the article is about a jail broken iPad app, that way if you're too skittish to jail break your ipad, you'll know the article is not worth your time. Of course, you could just tease yourself with what you are missing by not Jail breaking...



Last night I downloaded an app called Wifi from Cydlia. It allows you to sync wirelessly. Talk about cool. Now I was feeling pretty sleepy so I went to bed, and I had exhausted my supply of videos on the ipad so I wanted to sync some more over to watch... I remembered reading an article on TUAW about Wifi and thought why not give it a try.



As anyone reading my reviews knows, I pull no punches. And while this app is pretty cool, I question its usefulness. The initial setup has to be done while you are sitting in front of your computer, my first annoyance. I have Logmein and so I would remote to my computer (and unceremoniously kick my wife off the computer) to accept the invite from the app, but that would close the app on the iPad of course..



Once I got through that it began syncing. After about 15 minutes it was finished and I went to check out my videos, there were none. It had deleted everything I had watched, but not replaced any new ones.



Insert annoying itunes problem here. I hate that I can't decide what to sync to my iPad without plugging in my ipad first... I can't import video, books whatever, and say, yes I want these on my iPad the next time I sync. SOooooo back downstairs I go, wirelessly sync again, this time while standing in front of the computer so I can check off the various movies I want.

The wireless sync fails. It seems that while it launches iTunes, if it is interupted the client on the desktop does not close itunes. Also if iTunes is open, the system doesn't let you sync at all. Took me 5 minutes to figure all that out, and then everything setup the way I wanted, I went back up stairs and let it sync again.

Given I was syncing about 8 gigs of movies I decided I was going to just let it go and fell asleep. In the morning I checked on it, all keen to see how well it worked and the screen was informing me that I was not connected to a wifi network. Stupid apple and their stupid wifi issues.. So nothing has synced...

Over all, this might be a cute app, but for 10$ I'm not sure I'd go back and buy it again. It doesn't have any of the functionality you would need to make this truly useful, like being able to run in the background so I could remote to my PC while the sync is up, and tell iTunes what to sync... Like closing iTunes when finished, like dealing with a cancelled Sync... I will wait to judge it after I have used it more, but as of right now, its a one star app.

No comments: