Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Calling all techies, wives of techies or people who have techies handy...

So here's my problem. I have a dell Inspiron (My old HP computer killed its self on the weekend re my other post) and while its nice, quiet, fast, its a slim line profile... So the technies are now nodding, foreseeing the problem that I came across...

I bring the computer home, take it out of the box and  open it up, start salvaging the parts from my old computer. First things first the video card. Hrm, doesnt fit. Now I am as hard core as the next guy so I paused for about 5 seconds and a little voice (from across the room that sounded remarkably like Jenn) said Just leave the box open. Problem solved, now I go looking for power, and low and behold, no spare power.

Now noramlly I would say a mile away from Dell, they put the BARE MINIMUM in all their boxes, the upgrade potential of a dell is almost nil. The boxes you buy online are worse, their motherboards sometimes exclude pcie slots, or have only 2 banks of ram... its barbaric... So now my question for you tech heads out there who know this stuff better than me is, can I split the power to the DVD drive like I would have done in the old days, or are these new power supplies low wattage and geared for the contents? Ie am I screwed? Or if I buy a low profile video card (having installed the old one in Kyles machine along with the spare gig of ram that wouldn't fit in my machine) could I harvest some of the raw power from the adapter and hook it up?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, even if they run along the lines of YOU BOUGHT A DELL? ARE YOU INSANE?!?!

3 comments:

Grantzie Pantz said...

I have the same one and have issues with it. It heats up and runs fans all the time. Its not worth it! We've had dells, and this was the lemon of the bunch. I've had 2 motherboards replaces, dvd broke, card reader broke....... run away! Send back!

Stefan DesRosiers said...

I'm probably going to return it, its just not worth the effort of struggling with another DELL computer... my HP served me well for 4 years, and in the end its probably the Video card that killed it...

Stefan DesRosiers said...

So still havent returned it, I hate returning things, but found a video card at B&H that looks promising, no external power required, low profile, 512 megs of DDR2 ram, so I have hope again.. lets see if it works...