Tuesday, August 3, 2010

StarCraft 2: Ominous Silence

So my silence over the last couple of days can be directly attributed to Starcraft 2. This would come as no surprise to most gamers out there, or widows of gamers, because a new shiny game certainly does result in you being lost for awhile.

I finished the game on Normal, and I have to say I was a little disappointed that it was as easy as it was. I tend to try and play games on hard the first time, because I don't go back and play again after the fact. However, Starcraft on Hard, is no joke... I definately would have given up and quit playing if I didn't go through the motions on Normal mode first to remember how everything works...

I dabbled with pvp, and like wow discovered that I suck at it... The only tactic that I found useful was building 3 ravagers (I think thats their names, the dudes with the jump packs) and jumping into the back of the opponents base to kill his gold harvesters early on. If left to their own devices, they pretty much kick my butt... this method saw me win 3 games, and when not used I lost 3 games... It really amounts to setting their paranoia, destroying their gold farming abilities, and forcing them to build defenses as opposed to just building an all our armada to come and kick you into the stone age...

That being said, pvp is no more than 20-23 minutes. If someone hasn't won by then it will be a long drawn out smack down affair that comes down to who set the most resources to gathering the fastest... the second base is pivotal, but not too soon.. its a really weird balancing act that I haven't figured out yet..

Having become thoroughly disgusted with my inability to beat the average 6 year old, I went back to play hard modes, and yeah, they're hard... One mission I only finished because I lifted my base off and flew it away while the zerg ate the rest of the base... cheating, sure, effective, sure... of course if I was down to the wire on that mission, I'm sure to be down to the wire on the next one, and the next one... if I even get that far.

What I have to say about the hard modes is, don't defend... Defense is not possible against the zerg in hard mode, in hard mode its all about offense. Get out there early and destroy one or moer of their bases if you hope to live... and get out there early because later they have those giant tongues sticking out of the ground and its impossible to move without getting owned...

Well back to it... see if I can convince the brutalisk to go for a swim in the lava...

No comments: