Sunday, August 8, 2010

Central Airconditioning Problems

Not a good way to start the weekend, to say the least. This morning when I was getting ready for work I couldn't help but notice that the central air's compressor was clicking on, then immediately off. Being that I just can't let anything be, I went downstairs to check it out and noticed that the houses temp was already at 80. We keep it at 77, and odd temperature, but it works for us...

Anyways outside I go and while I am standing there scratching my head, the compressor goes again, on and off. Its then that I notice that the fan isn't running. That is, the fan on the external side, not the internal side. I can hear a small noise, like something is trying to run, but can't. Curious, I notice a fuse box outside, now thanks to 20 years of training by my father, I think of myself as a bit of an electrician. So I open the fuse box, and note the weirdest damn fuse I have ever seen. Its not a bulb fuse, or a breaker, just a metal bar... would hate to be there when that bad boy "breaks". Anyways I pull it out, the noise stops, put it back in again, the noise starts. Still no fan.

Go inside, turn off the ac, grab a knife from the drawer and spin the fan. It free spins, so at least the motor hasn't seized, it just doesn't want to spin... Having run out of time, I left it off and went to work. Once lunch hits at work I take some time to google whats going on, thank god for google thats all I have to say, that and all the people in the world who publish their experiences and wisdom on the internet for anyone with googles url to access. Anyways, its from there that I find out that its likely the Capacitor that is shot. The only thing I could do to test that would be to spin the fan while the unit is active, and if the fan starts, then thats likely the culprit.

It being friday, I call a friend who calls a friend who does hvac and he comes over to the house, sure enough its the capacitor. 165$ plus tax later and we're in business. Not that I think this guy would have sold me a new unit (I rent) but I am greatful to be able to talk to people like I know what I am talkign about... I am sure however, that half the time those same people are rolling their eyes at me. Here's another guy who thinks he knows what he is talking about.

We all do it, heck I do it at work when one of my business partners starts talking about the system/database or what is or isn't possible in a programming language. I always have to restrain myself from saying something scathing... yes I can restrain myself....

No comments: