Thursday, November 6, 2008

Truly random


Otw home, standing room only on the lovely nj transit bus. At least this driver maintains a reasonably smooth speed, some of these guys are nuts...

Anyways promised some random thoughts so here u go.

If you are proud of being chinese, black, jamaican, british its fine. But if you are proud of being white you are racist.

If a black guy calls another black guy the n-word, its a rap song or they are friends. If anyone else does it, it ends badly.

So son num 2 is grounded again. He is our prolific liar. When given the choice between telling the truth and fabricating, he will fib. Yesterday he was grounded for sitting in the tv room for an hour while mom was out walking one of the dogs. Seems innocent enough except the other two were standing at the patio door barking their brains out for that hour.

For that num 1 and num 2 get grounded. Now my boys want for nothing, I spoil the to ease my guilt at never being home, because I can, and because I enjoy making them happy. They each have a gamrboy so SOP for being grounded is to present the GB. Num 2 is yellintg from his rookm "I can't find it!". Finally my wife gets irritated and comes to help, low and behold he is in his room, sitting on the stairs looking around furiously for a place to hide the game boy he is holding in his hand.

I keep telling my boys, whatever you do wrong, lying makes it worse. Oldest gets it and doesn't lie, middle totally lost the concept, so my folllow up is: if you are going to lie, at least make it remotely possible that I will believe you...

I started talking about my oldest this morning and never finished, even though this blog is only 4 posts old, by now you are probably used to incomplete thoughts but this warrants completion.

My oldest has suffered through a lot of my growing pains. As I said earlier he was more like a little brother than my son. While it may be true that parenthood doesn't come with a manual, despite dr. Phils attempts, one pre-req should definately be that you be a mature adult. Note I said mature...just being a certain age isn't good enough. My older brother, by two years, has often been confused for the younger of the two of us for that same reason.

Anyways, I made most, if not all of my mistakes with num 1. Thank god for genetics because I still maintain that he is the most mature, smartest 13 year old I have ever met. I get frustrated with him, and all my boys when they give up on something. Just because its hard doesn't mean you can't do it, in fact once you have done it you feel that much better about having done it.

I try not to force my opinions, which being the analytical (funny how anal is part of that word) person that I am I can admit that most of my opinions are my fathers, onto my kids. I really want them to generate their own opinions about life. Some of them I quell as unhealthy (americans are stupid, can thank grandpa for that particular nugget) but I try and support their opinions and help them in defending those opinions by talking through them. Wow am I ever drifting...

I find most people are highly opinionated, but few people are educated in those opinions. Those are often the people who guard their opinions zealously, because they arte afraid to admit that they don't know why they think that way.

Back to num 1, before my bus ride is over, one critical mistake we made was putting him in french school when we moved back to quebec. He lost a year and developed a hatred for the language that took 6 years to recover from, if only partially. Since he is the senior child, all hus siblings hate french too, little do they know how good it is for them. I pity unilinguals, of any language. Knowing more languages opens up other possibilities and options that would be otherwise closed to you.

I tell them its important, and can hear my dad talking, so I add something he never did. "I know you don't believe me, I know you think I am old and clueless, but its my job to tell you this. And when you have your own kids, and are saying the same thing to them, you will be thinking what I am thinking, man I wish I had listened to dad. I'm also the only one here who has already been (age + 1), so MAYBE just MAYBE I know what I am talking about"

Hug someone close to you for no reason. Hold the door open for a stranger, help a lady with a stroller up the escalator, and seek balance by kicking a cat.

Miss you bunches babe, go easy on the boys, its almost as hard for them to not have me around as it is for you.

2 comments:

kandy said...

You KNOW how I LOVE your blog but I just want to comment on the first part of this.

Everyone should be proud of who they are but for so many years, years that I personally lived though, years of "Whites Only" water fountains, bathrooms, beaches, schools, pools (do you know they would drain a pool if a black person went in it!) blacks had nothing to be proud of. I remember so vividly to this day being at a Whataburger and the owner made the black man "go around to the back boy" to get his food order. I must have been 7 or 8, but I still see and hear that in my head. I still feel the shame that man must have felt. If I still remember and feel that, how did that man and his family feel when it actually happened to them? They were treated as less than human. People like to say when I say that, "That was 100 years ago why can't they just get over it!" But to me it doesn't matter if it was 1,000 years ago, it happened and it was horrible! It would have to be a tough thing to forget. How DOES one forget that?


I think now IS a time of pride for the black people of this country and I think they have every right to have hope and pride in their race, it has been a long time coming for them.
This will NOT be the end of racism, so let them bask in their pride just for a little while. Our country owes them that I believe.

There is NOTHING wrong with whites being proud, but again, for so many years it was associated with proud to be white, as in, being superior to blacks.
I long for a day when we are just proud of who we are individually, with race having nothing to do with it.

You mention that you want your boys to "generate their own opinions about life." This would be a good place to let the younger generation, who I think are finally NOT seeing the color barrier that I grew up with, keep looking at it that way.

As I said, I love your blog and your amazing thoughts and feelings. It is just that this particular subject has always, for as long as I have a memory of what my thoughts were, been my "soap box" issue and my passion and I tend to hop on top of the box whenever I can :)

Stefan DesRosiers said...

I guess my problem here is that I am part of that next generation. I grew up in a primarily white neighborhood, we had one black guy in our highschool and he was one of the "popular" kids. Clearly I was not...:) But i never got the point of distinction, I know there is history beyond believe for a lot of cultures that the whites of the world has screwed over (thank the british for that primarily, but we helped) but in my world there has never been a need to distinguish. People are just people, even when the gay revolution was happening I was like so what, you like guys/girls, how is that relevant to who you are?

I have known people who know your race, religion and where you were born based on solely knowing your last name... I always wondered why they would bother knowing that information, like why does it matter that such and such person is jewish... I have known that person for 5 years and it never even crossed my mine to ask them... its none of my business and doesn't change the person I deal with in any way.

Now there are differences for people who take religion too far, but that is the same of anything... anyone who takes anything too far is nuts (ask anyone about my addiction to World of Warcraft and you'll know that's my "religion"). Again, growing up without a heavy religious influence allows me to sit back and analyze what people do, but I can't always get the why straight... I had a hasidic (spelling?) jewish co worker who was not insulted by my questions, and general knowledge to KNOW why they do what they do... I know I can read about it, but to me it means more to hear from someone who actually celebrates it etc...

So I respect what you are saying, and know that we as a race have a lot to be repentant for, but I am lucky in that I was sheltered from all that hate, and so can break the cycle and talk about things as I see them from the outside looking in. I guess I am an equal opportunity racist, I think everyone's crazy...:)