Thursday, January 14, 2010

Now I have an excuse to drive erraticaly


So after 18 months of being in NJ I finally managed to get my car plated... The process involves importing your car at the jfk airport where they validate that you do in fact own the car, and it is the car you said it was, and it meets epa standards (which is a letter you have to get from the manufacturer for 85$).

The whole process was long but relatively painless. I took the 1 hour drive from the house, and spent 1 hour driving around the airport looking for the building. Anyone who works at jfk or knows someone who does, tell them to imrpove the signage... Its really pathetic.. Anyways I arrived at noon, just in time for lunch break... When I got back at 1, the process was completed as there was no line, and I was back on the road at 115.

Over to jersey dmv, again no linean out of there at 245... So an entire day shot, just to get two bits of metal to put on my car...but now at least my crappy driving will be put up to, well he's from new jersey.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Oh New Jersey drivers are SCARY!! Having had the privilege of living in all four corners of the US, we have experienced drivers of all denominations. Southern drivers are thought of as slow and polite, but in our experience only the retired ones are like that. The rest of them are in a big hurry to get somewhere (probably the beach or the nearest BBQ joint) and will weave in and out to do so. We loved Rhode Island drivers, but New York, New Jersey and Boston drivers are insane!! I'm surprised that every car on the road isn't all dented up from the crazy driving on those states.
Southern California drivers simply don't have the room to drive as fast as their fancy sports cars would let them because traffic is so backed up. Pacific Northwest dirvers are the politest of all. They will practically get into a fatal car accident just to let you merge in. We are about to experience Washington DC drivers in a few months and I'm told to just close my eyes and hang on because it's pretty wild over there!
I'm glad you got your plates...maybe you can help change the Jersey driving reputation? :)
Thanks for visiting my blog!
Becca
www.beccasfreshfruit.blogspot.com