Friday, July 31, 2009

Summer fridays rule...


Coach has this cool concept of summer fridays, what it amounts to, is you work 10 hours a day for the first 4 days of the week, and then go home early on fridays!

Anyways last time around I promised photos!! Now time for me to figure out how this shit works... Jenn's friends post pics all the time, some seriously amazing photos are up there, makes me want to grab my camera, blow off the dust and try and remember what I know about photography...



The above is an example of a really bad picture... I've been shooting for about 4 years, very off and on... My previous life was a traveling consultant whereby I would be all over the country, sometimes around the world, and so had lots of opportunitites to shoot photo's and refine my talents (much, much refining is required...) but if you shoot 4,000 photo's a day you get lucky once in awhile...


Somewhere in there is Kyle... This was shortly after his 11th birthday... With my previous life I had to travel a lot, so much so, that I was not home for my birthday, or Jenn's for 6 years straight.. just had crazy bad timing. I was however usually able to make it home for the kids, but missed Kyle's Bday, so to make up for it I told him we could go anywhere he wanted to go! I however suggested we go Deep sea fishing (he loves fishing) in Florda, and he went for it...:) One of the perks of being a consultant on the road 60-80% of the time, is you have a ton of frequent flyer points, car points, hotel points so it was also relatively inexpensive.. Most expensive part of the trip, was chartering the boat for fishing (Hey good news there, dad gets sea sick...)

We had a lot of fun in Flordia, went fishing, and swiming in the ocean, it was good times, a good bonding experience, at least for me and that was the intention.



So yeah, occasionally I get lucky, I am definately not a natural at this. I walk around the world in a bit of a daze, I go about my business with the intent of getting where I am going wihtout much thought to the world around me. Probably why I fit in so well in New York frankly... but thats a topic for another blog... Whenever I pick up my camera I have to literally flick a switch in my head to change the way I view the world and be able to take some decent pictures...

This one is from the botanical gardan in San fran, I was there with a friend photographer who was busy out shooying me everywhere, I spotted this little flower floating perfectly in the small pond and thought hey cool and shot it... as soon as he saw it he got a little miffed with me, we were of the habit of not taking pictures of what they other shot...:)


All things considered that was one of my better days for photo's..





Our internet is hella slow tonight, but theres some samples of what you can do with an over priced camera and a lot of luck...:) My advise to anyone starting out, get a good beginner camera SLR preferrably as they will stretch as far as you want them to. I'd also heavily suggest taking some courses if you are going to take it seriously.. F stops, ISO, BW bracketing, all kinds of strange things you need to be mildly aware of, or your pictures can turn out like that first one, instead of


We're going to the Diva's BBQ tomorrow, I'll be snapping a ton of photo's there and put them here or on FB... each image took around 5 minutes to upload, feels like dialup, and the process is a little bit of a pain in the ass... more power to you ladies out there that post every day...:)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stefan! Love reading your blog!

It was so great to finally meet you and my dear buddy, Jenn!

So, when are you all coming back over? We still have lots of filet mignon to grill!

with friendship,
Lisa

P.S. - All my friends are so jealous of my shiny new Coach bag! Love it!

Tammy said...

I adore the red dog shot!!! Im Tammy..Jenn's friend and im a follower of yopurs:) Great blog!

Whimsy Portraits said...

Uh...I believe it was your shutter bug that snapped me chugging vodka out of a bottle. and your wife decided it was too much fun to share.

My peeps thank you...I do not.
ROFL.... keep blogging!!!! Loved it!!!

Eileen PA

Rick said...

I still hate that flower shot...miss traveling with you buddy. I'm still shooting things almost making money at it.

Hope things are well with you and yours.

RK in the QC

Stefan DesRosiers said...

Nice to hear from you Rick. Still glad I found that flower first... Following you around all day and lifting my camera 10s after you did to take a shot that you saw before hand was humbling.

Haven't gotten out much with the Camera, so also envious that you're almost making money at it. You always were better at it than I was, better at most!